One of the resolutions Brian and I made for 2010 was to hike all the major peaks in the valley. This came about because one weekend a year the City of Phoenix holds the Summit Challenge. In one day many crazy people go out and hike all 7 major peaks in the City of Phoenix parks. Well since I am not a crazy person I thought we could do this over a year. Some of the peaks we have been on before but it does not count unless we do it this year.
Today we summited our first peak. We have never done this peak although we have been on this trail before. We summited South Mountain. We have covered nearly all the trails on this mountain but not this particular one. It was 5 miles round trip and a fairly easy hike.
Now we have 7 to go. I know I said the summit challenge is 7 peaks, but we added a peak in Tempe to do this year as well.
View from SoMo Peak
Other hikes on the list are Picacho Peak, hike the whole National Trail on top of South Mountain (15 miles) and hike into the Grand Canyon.
We have the Grand Canyon trip booked for March. We will hike in and spend the night at Phantom Ranch Campground. The next day we will hike over to Indian Springs campground and spend the night. The third day we hike out. My body will hate me after that for sure.
Here is to a year of hiking!
-Nina
No comments:
Post a Comment