He came home just in time for a stellar weekend. I made lots of plans for us. Saturday we were going to go hiking all day. A nice long hike up into South Mountain for some awesome scenery and of course, caches. We were out for several hours racking up about 6 miles and 4 caches. The 360 views from the ridges we followed were great and the sun felt amazing. By the mid afternoon it was beginning to cook us and we were low on water, time to go home.
That evening we were going to attend Liberty Wildlife's first annual Casino Night. We would get "money" to gamble with, have a chance to win prizes, be fed, and there was a bar. It seemed like it would be good times.
We each received $100 to gamble. Once you earned $300 you could buy a ticket to enter to win several really nice prizes. We also had tickets to win small things like bird houses and chocolates and other lame things.
Brian and I started out at the roulette table, and did not do so hot. We quickly moved on to blackjack. We did not do so hot there either at first but I was just warming up. Blackjack is addicting and I could not walk away. I began winning and betting bigger and winning bigger. Soon I earned an easy $100. Brian was back at the roulette table and doing well for himself there. We managed to get our $300 to buy this golden ticket.
We also entered Brian in a drawing to win the opportunity to release a great horned owl that evening. What an amazing experience that would be for him.
The night finally wound down and it was time to give out the prizes. We never win at these things, not even a friggin birdhouse. They were down to the big prizes and the one we wanted was up. As they called out Brian's name I felt a little out of body. "Did they just say we won that package"? Holy fuck, we won!
Here is what we won, check it out!
Brian did not win the bird release though. I was bummed for him. We did all gather outside and watch as the lady who did win slipped on a leather glove and frighteningly took the birds legs and gave it a toss into the night. The owl flew off, free to live out its life in the wild. It was awesome to see.
Today we decided to play a short game of disc golf. For those of you who don't know, its frisbee and golf put into one game. Its played on a course similar to golf, but you use discs instead of balls.
I suck at this game. Granted it was my first time, but I bit hard. I got mad and frustrated and had basically given up by the 6th tee. Brian loves to play and hes not bad at the game. Sucks for him that the only person he can play with here is me and well, I suck.
Hope everyone had a good weekend. Hope everyone is keeping warm. Congrats to Mike who is starting a new job on Monday in Pittsburgh. He will be joined soon by Nikole and then in a few weeks they will be parents. Wow!
-Nina
P.S. If anyone wants 3 pounds of Godiva chocolate, we will send it to you. We would be happy to do this.
8 comments:
Save me the chocolates when we come next month! I will eat them until I am fat and need to buy 2 seats to fly home.
The chocolates are yours. You will deserve them after all the hiking you will be doing.
I'm really jealous reading about that great hike and caching. We went caching this past weekend, but then decided we'll leave the snow shoveling to Nina's mom (joking!).
Congrats on winning! Sounds like a great weekend.
I will have to hike from here to burn off all that chocolate.
TOTALLY worth it!!!!
congrats on the trip! i hope it is fun...when will you go?
We are thinking we will go in May. It will be warm enough to scare off the golfers so then I can take my time sucking at the game.
Gambling is awesome. Everyone who gambles succeeds . It's a fact.
I'm jealous of the hiking, caching, and mostly the chocolates. That's some seriously good shit.
Post a Comment