Monday, August 11, 2008

Update about hormones

Today I went to the doctor for my 1 month follow-up after starting Symlin. So here is what the new medicine has done for me just after a month.

Right away I noticed the full feeling. It was great. I started at the lowest dose which is 2.5 units. I felt no nausea at that dose. I increased the dose to 5 units and at breakfast I felt nauseous.
I tried the next dose of 7.5 units at breakfast and the nausea was worse but I tried to hang in there. At the highest dose of 10 units I almost blew chunks. It was an ugly morning that day and I decided at that point that breakfast was going to be a 5 unit meal. I am nauseous still at that dose and breakfast has lost all appeal to me. I force myself to eat and it just doesn't taste good anymore but that's only at breakfast.

Now I didn't start taking the med at lunch until about 2 weeks ago. I jumped right in at 7.5 units and it all went well. I feel full and eat less. Dinner too. I tried to go all the way to 10 units at dinner but again the nausea is too much. I just stop at 7.5 units and suffer only a little nausea.
Its amazing how much less I eat. I am eating half of what I used to. Its so cool.
My blood sugars are improving too. I wont get all into the technicalities of it but the drug is working. Its a miracle drug.
I am also happy to report that in a month I lost 2.5 pounds. I don't think I will lose all that much but that is damn exciting.
After a month I am happy to report that this drug is awesome, I love it, and I plan to keep using it for a long time.

-Nina

1 comment:

The McGettigans said...

thanks! i'm doing much better now..i go to the surgeon for a follow up and to get the pathology report on thursday. we'll see what was going on in there!

congrats on the new drug working. you sound very excited about it and i'm glad it's working out well for you!

nauseousness sucks!!!