Tattoos are all the rage, right? Nina has the Lorax on her back. We recently learned that Becky has some sort of homemade star somewhere on her torso. Nikole probably has some sort of dirty tattoo on her butt, left over from her wild years. Seth has some all-black tattoos on his arm that look like they were done in 1925. But me, I don't have any. I never really had the desire. But ever since my mom died in 1999, I have thrown around the idea of getting one. The problem is that I could never think of the right thing. I'm not going to get a permanent image on my body unless it really means something. And I guess it wouldn't hurt if it looks cool too.
Recently I had an idea. When I was young, my mom had a collection of small porcelain animals. I used to play with them even though she always told me not too. There was one little penguin that was particularly fragile. His one wing stuck out from his body, which made it break off very easily if it was dropped. I proceeded to drop it several times, and my mom would always glue it back on. It became sort of a joke because she would tell me not to play with them, and I always would, and the penguin would always break. But she never really got mad.
When she died, I inherited this collection of porcelain animals. I have that penguin with the broken wing. Here it is.
Here is Bill's sketch.
One more funny thing. While Bill was drawing that sketch, he accidently knocked the penguin off the table and the wing broke off again. I had to glue it back on. I didn't get mad at Bill. It seemed fitting.
-Brian
9 comments:
I'm the one with the tattoo on the ass, from my ROTC days. Leave my wife's ass alone, if you know what's good for you.
What a great idea. Only thing I would say is make the break in the arm a little more visible.
Nice story. How about having the tattoo put on your calve.
Our mom would like the tattoo. Not on you, but she would like it. Seriously, she was pretty cool when she found out the band aid on my back was not covering a zit. I would somehow get the break in there better, maybe cleverly disguised as her name, or date, or something without having it look like "m-o-m". Know what I mean? Arm placement is good.
perfect.
I love it. I think it's an awesome idea. How about high up on your arm so that it would be covered by the enormous shirts you wear, and you wouldn't have to explain it all the time. I love upper arm tattoos.
Do it!!
I think the arm placement is great. Tim has his there and loves it. It only occasionally pops out from under a t-shirt and makes it almost like a hidden tat. After all it's for you, not necessarily show and tell.
I'd also recommend taking it into a shop and getting their thoughts on how to bring the penguin to life. After all art on the body is different than on a flat canvas, they may have some really interesting ideas as well.
That is sweet. I really like it. They mean so much more when they are from the heart.
Post a Comment