Friday, September 07, 2007

The First 24 Hours

As many of you know, Brian had laser surgery yesterday. He did not have the traditional Lasik done where they cut a flap on your eyeball. No, instead he had PRK. I don't really even know what they did to his eye. From what I could see it looked like they scraped his eyeball and then lasered it. But I was watching from the other room, who knows what they really did.
It took less than 5 minutes to do the whole procedure. When we got there he had to get a bunch of drops and they suggested he take Valium. He did. We were given instructions on how to do the drops, when to take them and all that kind of good stuff. It is a good thing I was there to listen because none it seemed to sink into Brain's brain.

After he was done they gave him some sweet shades to wear and sent him on his way. Just like that, done. We went to the pharmacy on the way home to get his pain pills. The doctor advised to take these and not try to ride out the pain.


We got home around 7pm. We had some dinner, Brian took some pills and some drops and all seemed ok.

We were on a schedule. Pain pills every 4 hours. 3 different drops every 2 hours and a moisturizing drop every half hour. Holy crap!


It was about 10 pm when we were finally getting sleepy. Brian had been resting his eyes all night, especially after the drops. Well of course it never fails, just when you think its all good, it goes all bad. Brian opened his eyes after his last round of drops and immediately felt pain. He said it felt like one of the contacts they put in his eyes had stuck to the eyelid. His eyes were watering like crazy and he was in a lot of pain. He said it felt like it shifted. I looked in his eyes. I could clearly make out the one lens but I didn't see the other. The nice man who gave us our instructions said the possibility of the contacts moving was so slim, he almost skipped over the fact that there was an emergency number. Brian tried to sleep but the pain was too annoying so around 11 we made the call to the emergency number. The lady contacted the doctor and he called us back.

He told Brian to ride out the night and come in first thing in the morning. Brian took more pain meds and went to sleep.

Sweet sleeping goggles

We drove up to the office in the early morning and they took him in right away. About 15 minutes later he was good as new. It appears that the lens was not in his eye at all and the annoying feeling that something was in his eye was from the surgery. So he got a new lens and is doing much better today. Hes been wearing his shades and napping. He says his vision is a little better than it was without glasses but things are blurry. The doctor said his vision and the pain will be at their worst on Sunday. Awesome, looking forward to it!

We will keep you updated.

-Nina

Sunday Update:
Brian's eye are very blurry but not painful. He has spent the entire day listening to Howard on Sirius while I watch a series of 80's flicks and wish I could make out with 1987 Eric Stoltz. Brian cant tolerate the outside brightness so he is trapped indoors. He can also not read anything on the internet or email. I am going insane with boredom and for the first time ever in my life, I am looking forward to work tomorrow. Brian is on facebook now, check it out.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wimp! Suck it up...

Anonymous said...

Brian really must not be able to see. Otherwise he wouldn't have allowed that hairy underarm to be seen by the world.

Anonymous said...

Brian sent me an email about joining "face book." Taylor tried to explain it to me and it sounded suspiciously like myspace. Nice try Brian. You look like a strange character from a David Lych movie in those shades by the way. Weirdo.

Anonymous said...

Lynch...f**k.

Anonymous said...

Fiend...jesus christ.

Nina said...

Its ok Tim, we all knew what you meant. Maybe when I see you this weekend we can have an intervention.

beckyd said...

Brian- I'm glad you fools are on Facebook. It's totally for cool kids.