Hello everyone. Brian here.
Some of you may know, and some of you may not know......I hate my job. I have been pretty unhappy for the past 6 months or so. I haven't been happy with the projects that I have had to work on. We only have one highway bridge replacement project, which is what I like to work on. The rest of our projects are crap. So what do you do when you hate your job? You look for a new one.
That is what I have been doing. I interviewed at an engineering company called Premier at the end of August. The position was Bridge Inspection Team Leader. They offered me the job, but I decided to turn it down. After that I talked to my boss and told him that I was unhappy at work. He said he didn't want me to leave, so he took me off of the project that I hated most and told me to concentrate on the bridge replacement project. That was definitely a step in the right direction, but I was still unhappy. Then last week, my boss announced that he is leaving the company to start his own business. That was pretty much the deciding factor for me. I NEED A NEW JOB.
At the beginning of September, I interviewed for a position at ADOT. This past Thursday they offered me the job. I am currently trying to figure out what I should do. There is really only one negative. It's about $5000 less than I make now. However, there are some really great positives. I would be working exclusively on highway bridge projects. I would get 4 weeks of vacation, 2 1/2 weeks of sick time, and 10 holidays per year. These are great things that would make me happy. I know that I was happy when I worked at Maryland SHA, and I know that I am unhappy working at Gannett Fleming, so hopefully I would be happy working at ADOT.
This Thursday I am going to ADOT to tour the office and meet the people that I would be working with. If all goes well, I will most likely accept the job. Wish me luck.
It's scary to leave a job. I was scared when I left Maryland SHA. I was giving up a job that I really liked. This time I will be giving up a job that I don't like, so it won't be quite as scary, but it's still tough. Moving into the unknown is as stressful thing, but I need to do it if I want a chance at happiness. There's nothing worse than dreading going to work every day. Well, I guess having cancer would be worse, but hating your job is pretty bad too.
-Brian
Sunday, October 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Brian, I don't think there is any question you should take this job. When I talked to you six months ago about this, it seemed like you thought a state job would mean a much more significant pay cut. Besides, your first raise will probably get you in striking distance of what you make now. This is one of those things that turns out to be *absolutely* the right decision a year from now, when you're looking back at it.
Here's what I did. I had a job I hated, so I stayed there for 6 years. Then I got a job I liked and stayed there for 2 years. Then I left there and got a job I hate...been here 8 months. Only 5 years to go...
Hey Brian, your you-know-what is dragging...pick it up off the desert and do what feels right. Quit trying to talk yourself into or out of everything you do.
WWJD? He would take the state job. He would also feed the hungry and make the lame walk again.
So get to it.
I'll try to find out what I can about the porn industry out here and get back to you. It's scary moving on and changing, but there are people sleeping in the street. That personally helps me. Whatever it is you do you will make it work. You will not end up eating out of a trash can. I don't think...I mean it is possible that this could be the decision that ruins your life for good. Ok good luck.
$5K won't make or break you. The sanity is worth the money. Besides while you are in jail, framed for my demise, it won't make a difference how much you make!!
aren't you lucky you have a life coach in times like these...
anyway, you have to make the scary move to change. but you knew that already. go into it with realistic expectations, however. no job it is perfect, and there are assholes everywhere. there are only degrees of what you can tolerate, in my opinion, at your work place.
if that doesn't work out, there's always porn, and i know that tim will hook you up with only the very best of the skanks. because that's what friends do.
it seems as if your mind is made up...you just have to do it. easier said than done...i know, i've been there but once you do it you will feel so much better. this job also sounds like it would be familiar as you have worked for the state before. just a different state. $5000 less is way worth your happiness. happiness is priceless.
Rubik's Cube Earth, man. You know what I'm talkin' about. Enough said.
Thank you to everyone for the advice. You all are great friends. Even you, Tim. It's good to know that I can fall back on the porn industry if my other job prospects don't work out.
-Brian
I thought I told you to take the state job! Why is this still a discussion? I know what's best for you.
Ask for more money, see what they say. Either way you're taking it- it will likely make you happier. If it doesn't I have a 'friend' looking into other options for you. Ie. Porn.
Post a Comment