Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Cyborg

At the end on November I received my new pump. I had to make an appointment with my pump trainer before I could hook up to it. This took longer than I would have liked but as of last week I am being juiced by my new pump.


I went with the Cozmo for many reasons.
-waterproof
-talks to meter
-meter attaches to pump
-lots of alarms for forgetful me
-program meals
-does the meal and blood sugar calculations for me

I could go on. I got green of course because at some point green became my color. I guess it started with the car. Then my phone, and now my pump.


I went to the pump trainer last week. Every time you get a new pump you have to go through some kind of training. My last 2 pumps were Minimeds, and the company sent someone to my house to train me. This time I had to go to the pump trainer at my doctors office. She told me that the pump I chose was the Mercedes of pumps. Sweet. I guess it should be since it cost $5000. Thanks goodness for insurance.

After and hour and a half of pushing buttons and learning my around this machine I was sent into the world. Its easy to use and comes with software to help manage it. I switched the infusion set too. That's the tubing part of the pump. It also includes the way I get the insulin, the part I call nubbies.

I was using one before that was inserted at a 90 degree angle and had a large piece of tape to hold it down. About 2 inches from there I could disconnect from the pump for showers, swimming, whatever. It was right at the place where my pants hit my hips and sometimes would gouge into my skin. The tape would leave my skin red.

The old infusion set (thats not me)

The new set. The thing on the right is the "injector."
So now I'm using a 90 degree angle insertion set that has a little round piece of tape. It takes up very little space on my skin. The place where I disconnect is right there at the nubs. It's great.

So far I am enjoying the new pump. I am never good at change. I freak a little, but it was time to upgrade. I was supposed to send back my old pump to get a credit. It took me several days to let go. I was sad to see it go, a trusted friend for 4 years.

Old and new

My new pump is a little thicker than the old one, which is one thing I'm trying to get used to. Also the clip is bigger. Once I have the meter attached it gets even thicker, but its not likely i will wear it that often. Then again I might learn to love it.

The pump with the meter on

I feel like the new pump is an opportunity to start fresh and get myself back on track. Not that I'm a horrible diabetic, but I should have tighter control. I mean I am on a pump. The point of it is to mimic a pancreas and help me have better blood sugars. I do my best or almost my best. So now I am tweaking numbers and feeling out this new machine. Together we will conquer the blood sugars.

Every 3 months I get a series of blood tests done. One of them is called an A1C. I can't really explain what it is, but for you non-diabetics it should be 5%. I am at 8%. I've been as low as 7.2%. My goal is 7%. Doctors love for diabetics to be between 6% and 7%.

I hardly ever write or talk about my disease. Its part of my everyday so its not really something that seems out of the ordinary to me. However, I do get frustrated at times, and I do hope to be cured one day. I can't imagine waking up and not going directly to my meter to check my blood, and then again yes I can. I believe this disease helped shape me into the person I am today. Being 9 and given this kind of responsibility does something to a person. I grew up with it, was always the only one in school with it, and still today I am the only one among friends and family with it.

Here's to starting this year on the right foot and accomplishing all the goals we set for ourselves.

-Nina

2 comments:

Amy said...

Juvenile onset diabetes runs on my Dad's side of the family (3 out of 10 kids) so I have some (small, ousider) idea of how it has to rule your life in a way if you want to manage it correctly. Thanks for going into the details of your pump, I was interested in seeing how it works.

Anonymous said...

cool pump, love the color