Today I met the most genuinely nice person. He came by Liberty Wildlife today to volunteer. This is not unusual so at first I thought nothing of it. We get many people who have community service and come once or twice. But this guy was different. He was taking photos and the word blog was floating around. So I asked "who is this guy, journalist, famous someone"? No, no hes not anyone.
I learn that he is traveling the US stopping in different towns to volunteer. And, and hes traveling on a Vespa. Wow no way. Hes from New Zealand but has been living here in the states for several years. Hes a chef and lives near Philly.
He came into the office and I had the chance to ask questions and hear his stories. He has no agenda other than to travel and volunteer. He was so nice, the kind of person everyone likes and wants to spend time with. He was so genuine. He listened to everyone talk and asked about everyones life.
He had the Vespa donated as well as much of his other equipment. He was traveling alone with a tent and some clothes. He made friends easily and had everyone offering a place to crash. He is taking back roads to get to his destinations, enjoying as much as he can.
Here is the link to his blog.
He said he is vegan except its been tough on the trip so hes more vegetarian now. He talked up New Zealand and had us all ready to book tickets there.
When he finally had to go, and believe me no one wanted to see him go, he shook your hand and kissed you on the cheek. It was like you knew him for years. Wow, makes you feel kinda bad about yourself. At least me. I could never just throw myself into a strange place with strange people and just feel so comfortable. His goal is to promote volunteerism and kindness. I wish him luck with his trip and I only wish I could be half the person he is.
-Nina
Friday, April 04, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
He sounds like a great guy! That's awesome.
And from what we met, most people in NZ are really nice. You guys would definitely love it there- everyone drives around in camper vans and treks about.
Post a Comment