We said one year would not be enough time to know if we made a bad decision. We thought two years would be the right amount of time.
Really though, how long do you need to figure it out? Once you find a job, is it right for you? In Brian's case it wasn't and he is on job 2 in AZ. For me it took nearly a year to even get a job.
Then theres finding a home. We were so unfamiliar with the area, we could have easily plopped ourselves in a neighborhood we hated. Luckily we found a great realtor and a great home. Then of course there is the issue of loneliness. We had a lot of that at first. It takes 30 somethings forever to make friends, at least us anyway. We had acquaintances from our jobs but not until last summer did we make solid friends. Its only one couple, cause they had trouble making friends as well, but they are friends.
Crummy Apartment
So this weekend marks our 2 years in Arizona.
I have to say that I love it here. I didn't need 2 years to figure it out. The weather is just what I needed. The landscape is so awesome and so diverse. I was indeed a lonely girl when we moved here. I was alone in a crummy apartment while Brian was at work. I spent my days at the pool or cleaning or figuring out where things were. I cried a lot at first, I was totally freaked out. We had a lot of visitors though in our first year and it helped tremendously.
I love our house too. I love the location, so close to the mountain and the shops and the highways. Its ideal for us. Its a perfect size and it has a pool. We have nice neighbors and the cats really like it.
Brian and I are both happy with our jobs. Although I don't always enjoy being an office worker, I just remind myself that at any part of my day I can go and chat up ravens or mend a broken wing or feed some babies. Now who's complaining? Brian has switched to a state job where he is so much more comfortable and happy to be designing bridges again.
And now we have friends. We like our new friends a lot. They are the outdoorsy side of us that we never really tapped into as much back East. They don't do pop culture or TV like most of you or even have high speed internet. I appreciate all that stuff and love that you love that stuff. Melanie and Greg are not the new any of you. We miss everyone like crazy and I don't believe that will ever change. I just hope that as the years pass and we all add to the family or make changes in other ways that things won't change between us.
We made the right choice to come out here. Arizona is our home now and we are happy to say that.
Nina, Brian, and a Saguaro Makes Three
-Nina
2 comments:
You guys are definitely not alone in the friends-making department, we have the same problem and talk about it often now that we're moving to the Philly 'burbs. I think it's just a more complicated dynamic - it's hard to find TWO other people that mesh with both of you. Not that you as a couple can't be friends with a single person or whatever... but you know what I mean.
It's great to hear you have acclimated to your new location and are loving it!
wow, 2 years already...I too had an anniversary...2 years at my current job. We were making a significant change in our lives together 2 years ago...and two years really does let the whole idea of these changes sink in. However, I only got a new job...you guys changed everything....i'm so proud of the both of you for making the most of this decision and I'm also happy that it is all that you wanted!
Post a Comment