Thursday, May 08, 2008

Some Projects are Scarier Than Others

Hello everyone. Brian here.

Continuing with our theme of blogging about our house projects, I thought I would talk about our latest one. This is a project that Nina has been adamant about for a while. You see, if you are swimming and you have to go to the bathroom, you have to walk through the house, tracking water all over the place. So Nina had the idea to add a door that leads from the back yard directly into our master bathroom. This way you could go right into the bathroom without walking through the house. What a great idea. Right? Yeah, well, I guess, but it requires cutting a big hole in the house. That is scary. I put it off for a long time. I thought about hiring someone to do it for me. I thought about making Nina's dad come out and help me. I thought about flying Dan out here to help me. Eventually I had to just face up to the challenge and do it. I did recruit our friend Joe to help. He owed me because I helped him build the bird cages at Liberty Wildlife. So two weekends ago, we tackled the job. We cut a hole in the house, removed a bunch of wood, drywall, and stucco. At least 3 times during the process, I said, "What did people do before the sawzall was invented?" At the end of the day, the door was in. A few days later, the outside was all trimmed out, caulked, and painted. Now I just have to patch the drywall inside and install in the inside molding.

Here are a few pictures. Notice that there are no "during" photos. That's because Nina spent the whole time lounging in the sun and didn't take a single picture.

Before

Hooray, the door is in. Now quit staring at my butt.

Before paint

All done, at least on the outside.

Well hello there.

So now everyone has to come and visit during swim season so that we didn't install this door for nothing.

2 comments:

Camarao said...

The door looks great!

But why get out of the pool to go pee? Seems like you did a lot of work for nothing.

Anonymous said...

Sean will never be allowed in your pool again, will he?