Nina told us that when she came home on Wednesday she would have a bird for us to release into the wild. And instantly we all got so excited. She informed us that some of the Barn Owls were ready to release but she really wanted to bring home a Great Horned Owl. The reasoning behind her preference was because Barn Owls tend to screech when you handle them and she said it may not be that pleasant of an experience. Well, when she got home she had a Barn Owl. Dan and I were still excited despite the previous mentioned facts. Once we found out we had a Barn Owl, it was decided that his name would appropriately be Barney. So we took a drive to an open area where there is most likely a suitable barn he would find to live in. On the way Nina asked who would like to release him and I quickly responded "I will!!" So when we got to the place where we were going to release him, Nina got Barney out of the box and he was so beautiful!! So I put on the bird handler's glove and Nina taught me how to make the transfer. It was a success. I stood there amazed at the fact that I would not in any way be able to even get close to him in the wild. Brian, Nina and Dan counted to three...and during those three seconds Barney just looked at me so calmly as if he was telling me "I'm ready, let go!!". So I did...It was a very moving experience. Teary-eyed moving... :)
Thank you so much Nina!! Enjoy the pictures of Barney!!
~Hallie


2 comments:
Way cool!
There is a scene in Blade Runner where Deckard goes to the Tyrell Corporation to investigate the disappearance of four nexus 6 replicants from an off world colonization mission and encounters a replicant owl. It looked like Barney but it could probably kill you because it was genetically engineered to do so. Sweet.
Post a Comment