Thursday, November 01, 2007

Choices

I am in the market for a new pump. This is very exciting. I've had this same pump for at least 4 years, if not more. There is nothing really wrong with my pump except that the technology has passed me by. My doctor says the new pumps are more precise in insulin delivery. So she handed me 5 packets for me to read through and decide.

I know what features I want:
Waterproof
Several basal setting
can calculate how much insulin I need based on the carbs I ate and my blood sugar
Talks to my meter

Most of that makes no sense to you. That's ok, its boring stuff. I will explain though. Currently my meter beams my bloodsugars to my pump. From there I can tell my pump that I am eating 55 grams of carbs. My pump then calculates how much insulin I need (based on how I programed it) and takes into account how much insulin I have on board already. Still a little confusing I know.

Anyway, I read through my 5 choices. I got rid of 3 and now I am down to 2. Both are waterproof. This is important to me because currently mine is not. Every time i go kayaking I worry about flipping over and ruining my pump. It would be nice to be somewhere and not worry about getting wet, be it the ocean, caught in a rain storm, wherever.

They both do the calculation thingy. One talks to the meter and one does not. Id have to enter my blood sugar manually. One has a catalog of foods and its carbs in it. The other has alarms to remind me that I may have forgot to bolus (take insulin after a meal). I like both those features but have to choose one over the other.

So here is a look at my choices.
This is the Animas. It also comes in pink.


This is the cozmo.


Which one would you pick?

-Nina

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pick the Oscillator 5000 in seafoam green. Or pick the one that talks to the meter.

Anonymous said...

Can you wait until February? That is when we will be releasing the iPhone Pump. The i stands for insulin.

Anonymous said...

I would pick the tropical green cozmo because it sounds like a drink on Sex and the City

nikandmike said...

My vote is for green. I've heard green is the new black.

beckyd said...

I personally would get pink, but for Nina, definitely green.