Saturday, November 22, 2008

Nerd Alert

I've never read a whole book in one day. I guess technically I didn't but I came damn close.

We were suppose to go hiking today. I had mapped out a 5 mile loop for us on South Mountain so we could enjoy the beautiful Phoenix day.

Here is what happened instead. I became obsessed with a book. It started Thursday night. I saw yet another trailer for Twilight and it was the talk of the evening news. People waiting in line for the midnight showing was the talk of the town. Whats all the hype about? I have heard a lot of buzz for sometime about this series but I ignored it.

Well Thursday was the turning point. I went online and tried to put the book on hold at my Library. Lucky me, I was the 302nd person in line. What, that could take forever, forget it. I looked through my emails and found a coupon from Borders. I would have to buy it.

Friday morning I stopped at the bookstore and bought it. I felt like a sell out, like I was jumping on the bandwagon. I couldn't help it, I was so curious.

It wasn't until Friday night that I finally cracked it open. That's when it happened. I became obsessed. I read until 2 am barely holding my lids up anymore, I just couldn't stop. I gave in to sleep and put the book down.

Saturday was going to be our hiking day. However, after breakfast a strange thing occurred in this house. Picture this: Me on one end of the couch, book in hand, reading. On the other end of the couch is Brian, book in hand, reading. Many cats in between. That's right Brian was reading too. I got him Artie Lang's new book and he dove in right away. So hours seemed to fly by as I read my book. It was noon before I knew it and then 1. Oh man we need to get going. But I couldn't stop, there was no way I was putting this book down. Brian took a break and worked on some house projects. I did not.


I read and read and was so engulfed in this story. I haven't been so obsessed with a story since Harry Potter. I know this book was geared for teens but man I found myself easily transported back to high school. Its an easy book to read and a little like crack to me. More, more, more...

We did manage to leave the house for a short time and grab some food and run some errands. However the moment I was back in the house I was in my chair with the book. We even watched a movie. Well Brian did and I sorta checked in on occasion.

But I finished it, yes, I am done. And tomorrow I will go get the next book in the series. And maybe this week we will catch the movie. Brian is so thrilled as you can imagine.

So here we are, the end of our Saturday and I'm feeling satisfied with what I accomplished but feeling guilty too. It was a really nice day today, sunny, 80, perfect and I was indoors.

Ugh...I may need an intervention if the books keep me from going to work.

-Nina

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I finished all 4 books in less then 2 weeks. Hoping to see the movie next weekend. Book 2 was my favorite. Glad to see your addicted. My sister loves them also.

Kim

Unknown said...

Wait, that picture of Brian reading a book is fake, right?

Nina said...

No no, Brian reads now. He reads books. I think hes read 4 books now this year.

Unknown said...

Dear god and baby jesus, is this bizzaro world. The Phillies win, the Democrats win, and now Brian is reading...books. What's next pancakes and sausage on a stick.

Brian said...

http://www.jimmydean.com/products/default.aspx?postid=265

Anonymous said...

Update your sleeper of a blog already, it has been almost a month. And I am sure it is not because Brian is too busy reading.