We went to Home Depot and started to price out wood. We weren't sure if we were going to paint it or leave it natural. If we painted it then we would buy crappy looking wood but if we went natural we would by red wood. Well we decided that if we painted it, we would have to repaint every year or so due to the sun pounding away at it. However leaving it natural would be bad because the sun would just dry it out and the wood would not last long. Damn that wonderfully warming sun we have here.
We finally agreed on red wood with a waterproofing, UV protecting stain. Good, decision made. Now for the number crunching. We figured just for the wood it would be about 500 bucks. Then add the metal braces for the beams, the bolts, the screws, the stain, and the little extra cushion for the things we forgot to include and now we are at 800 bucks. WHAT??? I mean we aren't talkin some huge thing here. We were bummed, that was too much. We really wanted something on the patio to help shade the area where the table is. The sun can be mean and we want to be outside to enjoy a meal or something without being baked.
As I went from the wood section of Home Depot to the Garden area, I passed by a large tent like gazebo. I stopped and looked at it. Ive noticed them over the years getting more popular but I never gave them a second thought. I looked at the price, thinking it would be at least 500 bucks. I was wrong, it was less, it was less than half the cost to build a pergola. I grabbed Brian and showed him this epiphany that I had. We could put this tent on the patio and its even better shade, plus it has a mosquito net included for all those none existing pesty bugs we have.
He pondered it a moment and then said he liked the idea. We went home and looked online for a tent we might like better but came up with nothing. The next day we went back to Home Depot and bought it.
We built it over 2 evenings and here it is:
Of course the day I get to test it out its raining, but we have it and we like it. Brian's sister and her husband are coming to visit tonight, so hopefully they will enjoy the shade during their stay here.
-Nina
4 comments:
OOOH- I like it!
that totally rocks the kasbah. I can't wait to sit under it and have my brother serve me frosty beverages!
P.S. I am writing this from the airport, how cool is free wireless? Don't forget to pick us up!!!
You guys are too honest. I would have told everyone that you built it. Brian could have taken a welding class at Home Depot and welded the frame while Nina was tirelessly stitching the cover.
Brian needs to customize it somehow. I know his little brain is thinking of some storage pocket or something he could add.
Post a Comment