Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Release

Today I was given the honor of releasing two western screech owls. I have been wanting to release something here at the mountain with Brian for a while now. We are in the process of releasing many of our Spring arrivals.

Today was the lucky day for two of the three screeches we have. I boxed them up and kept them in the spare bedroom until Brian got home.

Owls are night creatures so we waited until dusk and set out for the mountain. I wanted to release them near the golf course, somewhere open so they could hunt easily their first night.
We parked and walked out onto the green.


I took one out to show Brian and to give him the opportunity to hold, for the first time ever, a real live owl.


He tossed it in the air and away it flew. I released the second one and we stuck around to make sure they were ok.
They hung around the nearby trees, acclimating to their new surroundings. I hope for them a happy life in the desert of South Mountain.
It is a great feeling to set something free and see it begin its journey to a new life.

-Nina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Screech Owls...Saved By The Grimaldis.

Um, same spare bedroom we're staying in? Please to be removing all Owl poop before we arrive...

Anonymous said...

Screech....wasn't he on saved by the bell?