Saturday, June 09, 2007

What's Cookin'

Or should I say who's cookin', and the answer would be me. I have made it no secret about my dislike for cooking. I have also proved on many an occasion that I am not such a good cook.

I actually end up in a fairly foul mood after being in the kitchen and mixing more than 3 ingredients. I want to like cooking and I want to be good at it. As far as baking goes, forget it. I really dislike baking and I have no patience for it.

While I was in Pittsburgh I was forced to walk past pierogies cooking in onions and butter and the smell was so yummy, it was awful. I had to stand there with a soft pretzel and some mustard while Brian ate a plate of delicious pierogies.

I have never been able to find vegan pierogies in the grocery store, not any. It makes me a little sad, I miss them.

So when I returned to Phoenix I made it a mission to find a recipe so that I could make these oh so very yummy treats for my tummy.

I was successful in locating a recipe and actually the website had a lot of great recipes. I began a printing frenzy with high hopes for myself and my taste buds. I have linked the site to this one and they have linked to other vegan sites with good stuff. Good stuff like vegan cream eggs. Holy crap I cant wait to try that one.

So Thursday I went to whole foods and bought a crazy amount of things I will need for my future cooking endeavors. This is going to be interesting for sure. I figure that if I am passionate about the food I am trying to make then maybe it will turn out good.

So I gave the pierogies a try that night. My mouth watered as I imagined them on my plate all buttery and oniony with a little kraut on the side. Oh man!

Here is how it went.




We sat down to try this meal and wow, it was frickin good. I did it, I made a good meal. Not eh, but good, more on the delicious side.

So the following night I thought Id keep the momentum going and make Cheese steaks. I found this recipe and I thought that I must eat this.

I enlisted Brian to help with the sauteing of veggies while I made the "cheese" sauce. Things went smoothly, no yelling, no crabbiness, just pure excitement for what I might be getting to eat. I think I am on to something or just on something.


We each took a bite and then we both grinned cause it was good. All of it, the sauce, the mushrooms, the hoagie roll, I cant believe it, 2 for 2.

So for my breakfast on Sunday I plan to make an omelet. I haven't had one in 4 years and I am pretty excited about this.

-Nina

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, the pierogies and cheesesteak look awesome! Good work Nina! We'll have to try to make them. And you have to cook for us next time we come out!

Nina said...

I will. The omelet did not turn out good, but I dont blame me, I blame the recipe. I am much better at the tofu scrambles. Tonight is an Indian Curry.
-Nina

beckyd said...

Those pierogies look really good! My mouth is watering from the pictures.