Seems fitting that my fact this week would be about bats. I usually write about birds but this week I will be doing mammals.
Bats are the only mammals that fly, so thats kinda like birds.
I just spent 4 days in Utah looking for bats. Why you may wonder? Whats so special about bats? Well they are cool to look at and they are so frickin cute.
Most bats are insect eaters, finding their food by using high pitched squeaks, which bounce off nearby objects.
Most bats roost in dark secluded spots during the day and hunt at night. They hang by their feet.
Bats are true hibernators. In the winter they eat nothing, surviving by slowly burning fat. Their body temperatures drop close to the air temperature. Caves are optimum for hibernating.
Healthy bats do not attack people, and even rabid bats rarely become aggressive. Bats are no more apt to contract rabies than other warm blooded animals.
Some bats can live to be 20 or more years.
-Nina
Friday, December 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment