I made a lot of great friends at camp. We would even hang out outside of camp. One week was never enough. But as we got older we began to lose touch. By college I had lost touch with nearly all of them.
Last week I was telling Brian a camp story and it made me wonder about those people. I googled a few of them and was able to find one person. I was able to get his email from the site I found so I went for it. I love email because its anonymous. They cant see you or know where you are. I figured I would email him and see if it was really him and see if he was at all interested in even chatting with me.
Well it was him, it was my friend Chad from camp. I hadn't seen or heard from Chad in at least 10 years. We were really close when we were at camp, and yes we had crushes on each other. Silly camp crushes. We went to Lolapalooza together, Kennywood, his family even took me to Cedar Point. But once college started we just lost touch. He ended up going to Penn State and we were in touch when I lived there but nothing came of it, he blew me off.
So he emails me back and says its him and that he was happy that I got in touch. When he said he lived in Scottsdale I nearly freaked. I wrote back that I lived in Phoenix and we immediately started making plans to meet up.
We decided to have lunch today. I was nervous. 10 years is a long time to not see or talk to someone. I mean the last time I saw him we were teenagers.
So when he showed up at the restaurant today it was surreal. He looked the same only older and he sounded the same and acted the same. It was so odd sitting across from him talking about what has happened over the years, about camp, everything. We spent 2 hours just catching up and getting to know each other again.
Chad and I at camp in 1990

I moved 2000 miles away from where I spent my childhood and it just seems crazy to find an old friend here.
We planned to hang out again but this time with his girlfriend and Brian. Its nice to find someone that you share such a history with again. He existed before any of my friends I have now. Well not Heather, shes been around even longer.
Another friend in Phoenix, that makes 4!
-Nina
7 comments:
That's awesome! but I was hoping for a "Now" picture after the "Then" picture. You should take one next time you guys meet up.
I will, but i didnt want to show up at our first meeting with a camera.
So you two are diabuddies?
Oh my god that camp picture is too cute. I too was hoping for the "now" picture. Next time, maybe?
I too wanted the after picture, but I guess that might have been awkward. "Hey chad it's been over 10 years- let me take a picture of you for my blog."
Hi Nina,
I check your blog every week to see how you are all doing. When I came across the camp story, I had a feeling it was going to be Chad. That is crazy that he lives in Arizona too. I remember the big crush you had on him when we were teenagers. I am glad that you took a chance to email him and see if it was really him or not. Congratulations to you on rekindling an old friendship!!!!
you totally should have whipped out your cell phone and pretended to make a phone call, but really snapped a picture of him. Man!
Post a Comment