Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Prospectin'

I am at this very moment in Utah. I don't know exactly where in Utah but I know I'm North of Bryce Canyon, South of Salt Lake City and East of Cedar City. I'm basically in the middle of nowhere.

I am stationed in a town called Milford. There is one hotel here and one restaurant. Lucky for me the hotel is new and nice and has Wi Fi. I do not have cell service though, not even a half a bar. The restaurant is attached to the hotel and its a diner. I have brought a lot of food with me. I didn't think they would understand vegan here.

I am here because Melanie and Greg asked me to help them look for bats. Greg works for an environmental consulting company. The state of Utah hired them to look at abandoned mines and determine if bats were roosting in them.

They needed me because they needed a third person to stand outside the mine with the car keys and the cell phone in case something happened. I also got to go in a few caves today and see some bats for myself.

We drove up here Monday. It took all day to get here. As we were getting closer it started to snow. I woke up this morning to a blanket of white outside. I was prepared for cold but not snow. Boooooo.


So they decided to try to hit the mines that were close to the dirt roads so we weren't hiking forever in the snow. Ok by me. I haven't spent anytime in the snow since I left the east coast. I haven't missed it either. Today only solidified my dislike for it.


We got out there and it sucked. I never complained though, not once. I was working as a field biologist and I was going to suck it up. We managed to go to 14 mines today and several of them had bats. Bats hibernate in the winter and mines make great places to spend the winter.



We finished up our day about 5 PM and by then it was getting colder.
I will be here all week looking for bats and hiking around the Utah mountains. Not a bad way to spend a week. I'm getting paid to hike.

While I was standing outside the mine waiting for them to come back out I couldn't help notice how quiet it was. Like really really quiet. I could hear the static in my ears quiet. It was almost disturbing and I starting freaking myself out a little. I was all alone on the side of a mountain in the middle of nowhere.


I'm nice and toasty in my room now and enjoying blasting the heat. Tomorrow is another long cold day and I want to soak in as much warmth as I can.

-Nina

3 comments:

nikandmike said...

coolest job ever.

Nina said...

I am back in Phoenix after Greg drove 100 miles and hour for 6 hours to get us back here by 2 am last night.
I am happy to be alive and to be back home where it was 60 and sunny. I love you, Phoenix.

Anonymous said...

Way cool! We saw bats in Montezuma, Costa Rica where it was hot, sunny, and wonderful. Maybe next time they can go there instead of Utah.