Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Love that Ol' Girl

Today was the probably the worst day EVER!

I was driving to work rocking out to an awesome mix I made when I saw it. There next to the speedometer was a red flashing light. WHAT!!! It was the temperature light and it was red and flashing. Crap, crap and crap. Sometimes lights come but none have ever flashed. That's bad news.

So I stopped the car and then started it again. It went away, cool. No more that 2 minutes went by and it was back beeping and flashing at me. Shit, now I have to call Brian. On most occasions this would not be so bad to make the call to Brian. However, this was not the day. He was struggling with some Dad issues that were taking up a lot of his time and his patience. He was stretched thin. Also, just this past Friday his car broke and we paid out the butt to have it fixed. So making this call was not what I wanted to do to him, but I don't handle car problems well. So I drove to my exit and pulled into a plaza.

Ok so now what? I got out of the car and there it was, liquid under the car. F me. I was on the phone with Brian at the time and when I told him what I saw he said its the radiator, you cant drive the car.

I went into a mini panic attack, I started to lose it bad. I pulled it together and said I would call work and see if someone could come get me. I was probably 5 miles from work at that point. My coworker Jan came to the rescue.

When I got to work I got online to find a mechanic and a tow truck. I went with the place that Brian just used since they had places throughout the valley. Jackpot, one not to far from work. I made the call and arranged to have the care picked up. I had to meet the tow truck driver with the keys so I had to borrow a coworkers car. I hate being dependant on people like that.

As I watched the guy put my car on the flat bed something came over me. I looked at my car and had an overwhelming emotional freak out. I am not ready to say goodbye to her, I hate seeing her up there, I love my car! 8 years ago I got that car and I still love it, LOVE IT. Brian and I have been talking about me getting a new car at some point, a hybrid. I'm not sure now if I can do it.

The shop called to tell me it was the fan that broke and the engine overheated and overflowed and blah blah blah. All I heard was $680 bucks. What? Ugh.....I gave the ok and he told me it would be done by 6.

At 5:30 my coworker Jan took me to the shop to get me car. I was so happy and so excited to have her back and to have a car. I paid and left and seriously, I was 5 miles away on the highway and the light was back. Holy fuck, this is some ridiculous shit. I called the shop hoping to catch someone before they close. I told the guy what happened and he seemed so sure it was not a problem, probably the sensor, bring it tomorrow and they would look at it. I was like really, you think its ok to drive? He said sure. I was not trusting this man so I got off the highway and into another parking lot. I look and there it is again, liquid dripping on the ground. I wanted to punch someone real hard in the face.

I called Brian. He was so not happy to hear from me. He was nearly home and now had to come 20 miles to get me. It was 6 Pm at this point. We decided we would drive the car back to the shop, light flashing and all and leave it there for them to deal with first thing. Fuckers.
So home we went, arriving at a wonderful 7:30 Pm, only 12 hours after Brian left this morning.
I called Melanie to see if she would drive me to work tomorrow. I will have to find a ride to the mechanic once they finish tomorrow.

My car has never broke before. Little small annoying Volkswagen things but nothing crazy or bad. Not like Brian's car that seems like at any minute it will stop running. No, my girls been good. Its just shitty because we keep going into car debt. Its one thing after another and there's
nothing you can do. Tires, windshield, air conditioning, Brian's car, my car, it never frickin ends. Tomorrow is going to be a better day and by Friday we will be laughing about our most shitty day ever.

The most positive thing of the day is that we are in Phoenix and its not freezing cold outside with 3 inches of snow around my feet.

-Nina

7 comments:

beckyd said...

That sucks. I hope she's ok. That car has always been good to me.

nikandmike said...

i still have the vivid visual of brian, mike and ella cruising around in that car. and then grocery shopping...all together, like one big happy family.

there. that should bring a smile to your face.

Nina said...

I love that image. I am smiling now.

Nina said...

Update: Still broke and about to cost us a whole lotta dinero. No bueno.

Anonymous said...

Not only was I happy to get rid of my Sentra I pissed in the trunk before I gave it to my brother. It was a dependable car. So what. Taylor says to me sometimes "Don't you miss your Sentra?" F-no. It's a car. If you can swing it buy a Prius like you have been wanting too since the day they came out and piss in the gas tank of your Beetle before dump it.

Anonymous said...

to

Nina said...

We are going to get a Hybrid Ford Escape when we can afford a new car. We would love the clearance of an SUV but must have a hybrid. I will piss in the tank though for sure, thanks for the advice. Your sentra was a piece.