Lucky for this bird, I was going to work, and I would take it along to be mended. The thing about Liberty is that we take everything, but we don't really like to take in non native birds such as my friend the pigeon. I was a little nervous taking it there because recently all non natives that passed through the doors never seemed to make it back out. We have Raccoons that need to learn to hunt and well, some of the folks there think birds are as good as anything for the critters.
I took my bird and said as soon as I got there "Please don't feed my bird to the Raccoons". It was agreed and they tended to my little friend. Turns out it had a broken wing and a wound. Most likely happened over night due to a cat or dog, or something.
I found out it was a girl and I named her Sophie. I checked on Sophie everyday and made sure she was comfy in her cage. I could tell she was feeling better because she got more aggressive every time you opened her door.
I was told it was likely she would not be releasable and I knew that meant she'd be a meal or put to sleep. Well I decided, and with a little prodding from the medical service people, that Sophie should come here to live. She has a fighting chance here. I cant save an animal and then give up on it. I mean shes got every right to live too.
So today I brought Sophie home to stay. She is living in a cat carrier in the laundry room until Monday when hopefully they take the bandages off. If she checks out I will let her live in the backyard. If she can fly she will obviously leave me but if she cant then she may spend her days in my yard, where I will feed her and love her.
You all think I am crazy but I cant help it. Meet Sophie:
8 comments:
My wife is out of her gourd.
Sophie is cute! she looks better than she did.
One step closer to being the crazy lady the neighborhood kids are afraid to look in the eye or stop at the house for tricks or treats.
I think it's sweet! I imagine the cats aren't happy. Good luck!
So--if it was a poor little hurt spider would you have saved it too?
You know I love birds as much as the next person (maybe more?) but I cant help it-a rock dove is still a pigeon to me! You are very compassionate!
She's beautiful, Nina. I think you're a very good person for taking care of this little bird.
I think this bird pooped on my head once in Central Park. I would recognize it anywhere.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! SNIFF...SNIFF.MF
Post a Comment