Thursday, April 19, 2007

Sophie

Sophie seems sad in her Rubbermaid bin. She hates when I give her more food and water, and she really hates when I put the lid back on. I feel bad for her, stuck in a plastic container wishing to be free.

Yesterday when I got home from work I decided it was time for her to stretch her wings. I took her box outside and took off the lid and left her like that.

It took a while before she tried to get out. She was overwhelmed by the fact that she was outside. It took several attempts to get out but she managed to flap enough to get herself to the ledge of her home.

This is when the cats went crazy. They never left the screen door. You could see the lust in their eyes, this tasty meal just out of their grasp.


She stayed there for a little, and then hopped down. She explored the yard for a little while, eating the seed I threw out for her, preening her feathers and attempting to take flight.
Poor thing, she cannot fly. I don't know if she ever will. She barely left the ground. Her wing dragged along the ground as she raced around the yard.


At one point she was all the way on the other side of the pool and I called her name "Sophie". I swear, this bird walked towards the pool, forgot about the not flying thing and leaped right in the water. Now she is thrashing around trying to fly out. Dah silly, you cant fly. She finally gave up and just sat there floating around. I got the net and scooped her out.

As it got dark we chased her down and put her back in her box. She will have another adventure today. She goes back tomorrow for a check-up. I think the prognosis is not good. I will keep her no matter what they tell me. She will just hang in the back yard, hopefully avoiding the pool.

-Nina

No comments: