Saturday, December 30, 2006

Caching in PA...

is a lot different than caching in Arizona. There are many things here in PA that I don't have to deal with when I am out roaming the desert. Here are a few:
1. Leaves
2. No, make that wet leaves
3. No, wait, make that wet, slippery leaves
4. Fallen trees
5. Mud
6. Weird mossy stuff I just put my hand on
7. Hidden crevices
8. Cold temps
9. Oh, did I mention mud
10.Jaggers and burs

I am sure some find these things endearing, but I like the desert. Here is a list of things I deal with there:
1. Sunlight
2. Oh wait sunlight is a good thing, forget that one
3. Dust
4. Possible critter in the rocks
Happy cachers



Brian and I cached with my folks 2 days in a row. We were very successful on day one finding 6. We hiked up steep hills and down ravines, it was an exhausting day. Day 2 started out strong, but we only found 3 that day. Cache 2 of the day defeated us. We hiked this ridiculously steep hillside to get to the cache. Once there we searched and searched, nearly breaking our legs on the boulders and hidden crevices. No where to be found. We were perched on top of a cliff basically and had to return to same way we came up. It was a long way down. It was an exhausting hike and we all had wobbly legs by the time we finally got back to the car. Being tired and hungry, we could muster the energy for just one more.

Its all uphill from here


I will admit, as much as my legs hated me by the end of the day, it was fun. And caching is a good way to see things that you would have never noticed before.



Happy New Year everyone!
-Nina

No comments: