Monday, December 04, 2006

Whaa Happened?

Whew! What a crazy weekend.

The moment I received Nikoles baby shower invite I knew I would go. I looked up plane tickets and my plans were set. I told no one of my plans except my folks. I needed a ride and place to crash of course. I couldn't wait for the weekend to finally get here so I could reunite with my friends.
Well I left Phoenix at 6 am Friday morning. I planned to get to Pittsburgh at 2pm with a layover in Houston. Well of course my plane is late getting into Houston and the flight attendant is saying over the intercom, "Dont worry the other gates know you are coming. They will wait for you". She turned out to be the biggest liar on the planet. I was way in the back of the plane and now I have about 15 minutes to get to my gate, which I did not know. I also had to really pee. Ok I stop to pee and I stop to check my gate and then I am off. Holy shit is this a long airport. I am going as fast as I can carrying my bags. My calves are burning, I am sweating under my coat, and I am breathing hard. Finally after forever I get to my gate. No one is there. I had a minute to spare and they were already on their way. Planes never leave on time and this one leaves early. Wait for me my ass. I got very upset, yelled at some people, which I regret now, but I was caught up in the moment. I go to the customer service desk and actually asked the guy if the plane could come back. I settled down and he put me on the next flight out at 1 pm. It was 10:30 am. So I sat down at my new gate and called Brian and cried because I was so frustrated and upset. I then called my dad and told them they would have to come at 5 now, not 2.










Saturday rolls around and I am so anxious to see Nikole and Becky at the shower. I was emotional all day just thinking about it. My dad and I did a little freezing cold caching in the morning. Finally it was time to go, time to drive to Greensburg. I got there right at 4 and saw no cars. Am I at the right place? Out of no where like 5 cars pull up and everyone heads into the house. I waited for everyone to get in and then I walked to the house.

The first person I saw was Nikoles mom and her jaw was on the floor. I walked over to give her a hug and say hello. She said Nik would be right down. I turned around and there she was. Oh my god, look how pregnant you are. Those were my first thoughts. She looked at me like she was so confused. I walked over and hugged her and we both started to cry. I rubbed her belly because I just couldn't help it. You do pregnancy so beautifully Nikole. We then set off to find Becky. I loved the looks. That look of pure shock and joy ( I hope). It was so boosting. We hugged and chatted and it really did not feel like 6 months had gone by that I tearfully said good bye to my friends.

Nikoles shower was great. Peanut made out like a bandit. I have no photos. I take that camera everywhere I go and this one time I need it, I am sans camera. Please refer to the Doshis blog to see some photos.

We agreed on a restaurant to have dinner after the party. Sunil would meet us there and Mike was on his way to the party. Mikes expression was great and I was happy to see him and Sunil. Sunil seemed to be in shock all night which was great because I really felt like you guys missed me and it felt like old times except Brian wasn't there.

My purpose of going was to surprise Nikole and be there for her on the day of here shower. In addition to that I got such a great reception and I felt so good about having such wonderful friends around me. Thanks guys.

The weekend was wonderful but I had to return Sunday evening back to Phoenix. I cached with my family in the morning and then my dad took me to the airport. I was nervous the whole flight from Pittsburgh to Houston. If we got there on time I have 45 minutes to make it across the huge airport, if we were at all late, I was in trouble.

Well of course we were late. By the time I got off the plane I had 15 minutes to go about 50 miles to my other gate. Once again the attendant said the connecting flights would wait, but I knew better. I was near the front this time and I ran to the customer service desk and said to the nice lady that I really need to make this flight could she call the gate and tell them to wait. She said I would make it fine. I stood my ground though and said please, please call. So she did and off I went. Again calves burning, breathless, I cruised through the airport. Many other people around me running too.

I made it to the gate where the lady waited and asked if I was the one they called about. I said yes, feeling good that something went right this time. I got in my seat, still breathing hard, and called Brian. "I made it".

As we got ready to land in Phoenix, I looked out and saw the city and all the lights and smiled. I was home. I missed my home, my husband, my warm weather. Of course when I am here I miss my friend and family. But having those feelings made me realize that this is the first time I left and came back to Phoenix and it really does feel like home.

I had an amazing weekend. Thank you friends and family for making me feel so welcome and missed. Brian and I will see you in just a few weeks for Christmas.

-Nina-

2 comments:

beckyd said...

My expressions were both of shock and joy! Seriously, I totally did not see that coming.

It was so great to see you!

By the way, you look great.

I have posted pictures on flickr:

http://flickr.com/photos/beckydoshi/sets/72157594405459262/

Nina said...

Thank you. The picture and Mike and I about to hug looks awkward. Everyone looked great. Pasty, but great.