Tuesday, July 25, 2006

This Lightning Tastes Like Piss and Flies

Man do we have a great story for you. Tonight we decided to go see Clerks 2, so around 7 we headed out to the movie theater that's only like a mile from our place. Toward the end of the movie I could hear thunder outside. All week we have been having evening thunderstorms. It is monsoon season after all. It thunders and there's a little lightning and if we are lucky we get a sprinkle.
As we were leaving the theater I saw that it was lightninging (is that even a word?) a lot outside, and as we were sitting in the car we were seeing an amazing show. We sat in the parking lot for a few minutes just watching these bolts come right out of the sky and down to earth. There was amazing light everywhere, it was great. All of sudden there was this loud crack and I actually screamed it startled me so bad. I thought it was thunder and I drove off quickly thinking the storm was right over us. Boy was I wrong. When we turned out of the spot we noticed all this wood on the ground and this family standing near a truck kinda just stunned. Then it dawned on us, oh my god that tree right next to them was the loud crack. It was blown to bits by lightning not more than 100 feet from where we were sitting. We were freakin out as we drove back. Red lights were out, our apartment complex was black, it was mayhem. We got in and lit a candle and searched for flashlights, it might be a long night.

Here is a picture of the tree that was hit by lightning.

I tried to catch some photos of the lightning, but by the time we made it home, the storm was moving away and it was now pouring rain. I managed to catch a flash as it lit up the sky.


Monsoon season rocks. They say this whole week is going to be monsoony due to some storm in Mexico. Sweet! They also said its only going to be 99 on Thursday and Friday. Sweet and sweet! So that was our excitement, a near death experience with lightning.
The power returned not long after we got home.

-Nina-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, just curious, was that Brian doing the screaming? Did you scream like a girl??
Pffhh, 99 degrees, whatever- we have that here too! (+ bonus high humidity) so ha

Nina said...

It was Nina that screamed. I was doing manly things like protecting her from danger.
-Brian