Sunday, July 16, 2006

Weekend Stuff

Hi everyone. It's Brian this time. I'm here to tell you all about our weekend, as if you care. Pretend to care, will you?

On Friday we found out that the PA Connection, the Pennsylvania themed bar in Tempe is closed. It is becoming the Coconut Connection or something lame like that. It was a somewhat cool place that served Primanti Brothers style sandwiches, Philly style cheesesteaks, IC Light beer, Clark bars, and Hershey bars. Unfortunately they did not have Yuengling. Apparently Yuengling cannot be distributed in Arizona. At least, that's what the PA Connection guy told me. So anyway, they closed down. Boo hoo.

This is Tempe Town Lake, in case you care.
















Friday night we went to see one of Nina's favorite bands, The Format. She is totally gay for them. They are a local Phoenix band that is starting to make it big. Or maybe make it medium. We saw them a few years ago when they opened for Jimmy Eat World (another Phoenix band). Now they are starting a tour of their own, so I guess that means they are making it. The show was very good. It was at a weird place though. It's a round arena, like the civic arena I guess. But the stage is in the middle, and it spins. There is no floor area. It's just seats. A very odd place to see a show. Nina spent the whole time thinking how awesome the band was. I spent the whole time wondering how the stage could spin without the electrical wires getting twisted up underneath.

Saturday we didn't really do anything. It was 114 degrees. That kind of heat pretty much means you're stayin' inside. So we stayed inside and watched some episodes of Lost, Season 2. We downloaded them off the internet. Oh the internet, what a glorious invention. What would we do without you?

Sunday, we drove to Roosevelt Lake. It's about a 3 hour drive to get there, but that's only because the last 25 miles are on an unpaved road. For a good portion of it, I could only drive about 10 mph. So that sucked. The scenery was pretty awesome though. Here's a picture of the road. That's not the lake to the left. That's the river, downstream of the dam.
















Here's a picture of the bridge over Roosevelt Lake.
















This is what your car will look like after driving to Roosevelt Lake on a 25 mile dirt road.
















After we spent some time at the lake, we took a different way home. It's not as scenic, but it's all paved. On the way home, we saw a roadrunner. Ironically, or not ironically, he was running across the road. However, there was not a coyote chasing after him with Acme rockets. We also saw some lightning on the way home. Nina was able to snap this picture of it.
















That's about it. Hopefully you guys that celebrated Becky's birthday in Pittsburgh had a good time. I hope you went to Kennywood and rode the following rides: The Racers, The Jackrabbit, The Thunderbolt, The Kangaroo, The Racers, The Jackrabbit, The Thunderbolt, The Kangaroo, The Racers, The Jackrabbit, The Thunderbolt, The Kangaroo. And over and over again.

-Brian-

This is Nina. Brian forgot to mention that near the lake is the Tonto National Monument which contains ruins. We decided to check it out and see whats to see. It actually turned out to be cooler than we thought it would be. The hike to the ruins was a 1/2 mile climb up 300 feet. Once there you could actually walk around in the ruins, which is rare. After the 1/2 mile back down 300 feet we had wobbly legs. Here is what we hiked to.
-Nina-

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice photos, especially the lightning strike shot. Good work Nina!

Nina said...

Hooray. Someone is reading our blog.

You would laugh if you knew what we went through to get that lightning photo. We had the camera set on "continuous" shots. Nina just pointed the camera at the horizon and the camera started taking 1 shot per second until the ligtning struck again. So we got the shot, but we ended up with about 400 pictures to delete.

-Brian

Anonymous said...

Wash your car!

Anonymous said...

Why would I laugh at you using the continuous shot feature of your camera. Do I have no sense of humor? Or were you talking to Greg specifically, not all of us?

Nina said...

Dick!

Anonymous said...

I went on the Kangaroo last year, and it was lamer than I remembered. That was the only disappointment.

I wanted to go on the Turtles, but noone else did.

I bet the Grimaldis would have.

Anonymous said...

i love the turtles.

Nina said...

We would have rhode those turtles silly. Silly I tell you.

Anonymous said...

Rhode as in Island?