I chose a state park just south of Sedona in a town called Cottonwood. The park had hiking, camping and it was on a river that always has water. I was excited, finally the kayak can go out. We packed up the car and left Saturday morning for Dead Horse Ranch State Park. It took about an hour and a half and the temps dropped about 10 degrees. We got to the park, picked a sweet camp site and ventured to the river to see where we could put in.
our camp site

"Oh" is what we said when we saw it. It was flowing very quickly and was a nice muddy color. Man that's not going to be very fun, we both thought. In the end the kayak never left the roof of the car. Since it was only about 82 degrees we decided to just go hiking. We ventured around the park for a few hours and came back to the site to make some dinner.
perhaps the original ranch
Around 5 am I was jolted from my sleep by the howling coyotes. I listened as the cries gained in numbers. Cool, I thought, very cool. As quickly as it started it ended and I noticed that the sun was beginning to pop out. Thank goodness because, damn, it was cold out. From under the blanket I am pretty sure I heard Brian say "dont let them get me", and then he was asleep again. What a wuss.
The morning temperature, burrrr!

We rose early and decided on a short 2 mile hike before we left the park. Although the kayak never left the roof, it did get to see some wonderful scenery as we drove up and over the mountain back down to Phoenix. This state just keeps amazing me.
-Nina-





2 comments:
I'm still reading your blog! (Just in case you were feeling unloved.)
Glad you had a good camping trip. You know-a little muddy water never hurt anyone (ok it may have, but it wouldnt have hurt kayakers!) Babies.
Thanks Rach, I do feel a little unloved when we get no comments. That water was gross, we are not babies, plus we would have struggled to get back up stream.
Post a Comment