Some might say I am an introvert. I tend to be quiet, keep to myself, and silently judging all around me. What is so wrong with that? Well I will tell you, it is no good when you need a job. You see, I have applied for a job as a Park Ranger. That means that I would have to stand in front of people and make words come out of my mouth. They would have to be words that made sense and sounded like I knew a thing or two. I do not have much practice at this. Sure in college I got up in front of peers and gave presentations, and sure I sweated up there and felt like vomiting. However, I did, got through it, and got the hell out there.
So now that I am an "adult" I need to be a little more outgoing. It is time to crawl outta my shell. The place I volunteer, Liberty Wildlife Center, offers a 6 week class about the education birds. Along with learning how to get a bird to step up onto your gloved hand, you also learn how to be in front of a crowd and talk about the bird. "Great", I thought, this is just what I need. If I want this job, I am going to have to be awesome in front of a crowd.
The primary reason I signed up for the class was to have a bird, like oh say a great horned owl, sit on my arm. Wow, that is cool stuff. On top of having this experience I get to practice my speaking skills. Next week I have to give a one minute talk on the strangest thing in my house. Now some of you might suggest it be about Brian, but I think I will talk about the cinder block wall that surrounds my home and every home in the valley.
I mentioned that I applied for a job. This would be the same job I was offered in the Spring but had to turn down. I have been in contact with the woman once since I've moved here. It was a pleasant conversation but formal. Now I have some people squawking in my ear that I should call her. "What the heck am I suppose to say to her", I retaliate. Its not like we are buds. Now I am first and foremost a Latusek, which means I am as bullheaded as a mule. If you push me or tell me to do something, most likely I wont. Its in the genes. So then I talked to Taylor and she was nice to me and recommended (key word) calling. She didn't push or say anything negative, just a nice friend to friend recommendation. So here I am asking all of you for some advice on what I should say to this woman. Its awkward to call and just be like hey, ah remember me. Oh yeah I applied for the job so..., ah... Ok bye then.
Help me out people.
Peace out!
-Nina-
Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I would call and say, hi, I saw the job was reposted, just wanted to let you know I am still very interested. Very excited to see it is reposted. Have been volunteering (as she suggested), getting to know the area better and the wildlife, etc. Since you talked to her before and had nice conversations, the hard part is really over, but when she remembers you, then you have the advantage of standing out from the other candidates, you are not just a resume.
Dont call her!
(ok really just saying that so you will)
Good advice above, you could also ask her if the position has the same duties as the last time you interviewed-kinda jog her memory in case somehow she has forgotten you (i know not likely but...) and if theres anything new you should know- ie another presentation on drive free day (same job right?) Do you have an interview date??
Good luck- just think maybe deep down your really an extrovert just stuck inside an introvert (NOTE: proper use of 'an' with vowel words)
Definately call and say what Dawn said. DO IT!!!
I was just looking through old year books because Pat Lewis was here, and you had the funniest laugh. You and Lee Jay.
Tell her why you're right for the job. If you were right for it 6 months ago, what has changed since? And if she says no, tell her to sit and spin on a cactus.
Post a Comment