Tuesday, May 30, 2006

First Day Blues

Today was my first day at my new job. I was not looking forward to going. I haven't worked since May 5th, and it has been very nice. Working is for suckers, and I prefer to not do it. However, we have to pay stupid rent and other bills, so I have to work.

My first day was interesting. I started at 8:00. The office is only 1.5 miles down the road, so it was a pretty easy commute. I expected to spend the day talking with the HR people, setting up my computer, maybe going to some sort of orientation class, etc. It wasn't like that at all. As soon as I got there, my new boss showed me a project that has a submission deadline of this Thursday. He said that he wished I had started sooner because he hasn't really had time to get to it. He showed me what needs to be done and then ran off to a meeting. I spent some time setting up my office, but my computer hadn't been set up for my account yet, so I could only sort of use it. I have my own office. It's a corner office on the 2nd floor. It's small, but it has lots of windows, and if I look in just the right direction, I can see Papago Park (damn killer bees!!). I spent the day trying to work on this project. It's a modification to an existing bridge to protect the channel from flooding. It's not that difficult, but when your used to doing things the way Maryland wants them done, any job is difficult at first. By the end of the day, I had made a little bit of progress, I had made a list of questions for my boss, and I had decided that the job will probably be ok.

The real shocker (not that type of shocker, Mike) came when I got home. Nina's car was parked in my spot, there was no dinner on the table, and Nina was not awaiting my arrival in a French maid outfit. The last two are just a joke. I don't expect those things. However, the first one is for real. We get one carport space, and then the other car has to find an uncovered space, usually thousands (exaggeration) of feet from our apartment. I have been enjoying the carport space since we moved in, but as soon as I went away for the day, Nina stole it.

-Brian-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian! You first day sounds like it went well... I love your blog its great to see updates on the both of you! I miss you lots.

Anonymous said...

nina is sooooooo much cooler than brian.